MIT grad shows how to find the equation of a tangent line using derivatives (Calculus). More videos with Nancy coming in 2017! To skip ahead: 1) For a BASIC example, skip to time 0:44. 2) For a more complex example that uses the CHAIN RULE, skip to time 5:58. 3) For an example that uses TRIG FUNCTIONS, skip to time 11:35.
What is a tangent line? It is a line that is tangent to a curve at one point. You can use calculus to find the tangent line by taking the derivative of the given equation. Here are the steps to finding the equation of the tangent line, using derivatives:
1) TAKE DERIVATIVE: The first step is to take the derivative of the given equation, with respect to x. For instance, to find the equation of the line tangent to f(x) = x^2 + 3 at x = 4, first take the derivative of f(x), which is 2x.
2) PLUG IN X-VALUE INTO DERIVATIVE TO GET SLOPE: The second step is to plug the given x-value into the derivative of f(x). The value you get is the slope of the tangent line, m.
3) FIND Y-VALUE OF POINT WITH ORIGINAL EQUATION: The third step is to find the y-value of the point. You get this by plugging the given x-value into the original equation to find the corresponding y-value. Since you want the tangent line at x = 4, plug x = 4 into the original f(x), and you get a y-value of 7. This means that the full point is (4,7).
4) PLUG THE SLOPE AND X,Y POINT VALUES INTO POINT-SLOPE EQUATION: The last step is to put the x and y point values, as well as the slope, m, into the point-slope equation of a line. The point-slope equation is x - x1 = m (y - y1). Plug the x and y point values into this equation for x1 and y1. Plug the slope you found in for m. This is the equation of the tangent line. The equation will still have x and y variables in it.
You can also rearrange the equation you get so that it is in "y equals" or slope-intercept form, if you want.
Tagged under: tangent line,tangent,line,derivative,curve,calculus,equation,slope,chain rule,power rule, derivative,point,coordinates,function,point slope equation,slope intercept form,point slope,slope intercept,linear,trig,trigonometry,numerator,denominator,simplify,-,rules,explanation,find,solve,solution, , cases,jmt,shortcut,trick,khan,math,mathematics,easy,test,tutor,problem,tips
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes