Common French words used in English – Free Spoken English lessons
Over the years, the English language has borrowed a great number of French words and expressions. Some of this vocabulary has been so completely absorbed by English that speakers might not realize its origins.In this lesson, you will learn some common French words that are used in English.
1. Rendezvous: a meeting at a fixed time and place.
2. Déjà vu: a feeling that you have already seen or done something when you are sure you actually haven’t.
3. En route: on the way
4. Sans: without
5. À la carte: a menu with separate prices for each dish
6. Faux pas: a mistake/do something socially embarrassing
7. Vis-à-vis: in relation to/in comparison to/ face to face
8. Passé: outdated/a thing of the past
9. Chauffeur: a driver
10. Adieu: goodbye/farewell
11. Souvenir: a memento (a thing that reminds you of a person or place)
12. Bon voyage: have a safe journey/have a good trip
13. C’est la vie: that’s life
Tagged under: English lessons,Free English,English lesson,English video,vocabulary,business English,Grammar,learn grammar,English speaking,spoken English,learn English,speak English,speaking English,fluent English,fluency English,English training video,speak fluent English,accent training,American accent,British accent,US accent,UK accent,personality development,words,sentences,public speaking,presentation,soft skills, ,phrases,idioms,listening skills
Find more lesson plans like this:3rd Grade Vocabulary Words
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes