It turns out the search for a tall, dark, and handsome mate isn’t limited to dating websites—or even to humans. A lion’s mane will change color in accordance with its nutrition level and overall well-being; a male lion with a darker mane tends to be healthier and have higher testosterone levels. As a result, lionesses find lions with darker manes more attractive, according to biologist and National Geographic grantee Craig Packer.
➡ Subscribe: http://bit.ly/NatGeoSubscribe
➡ Watch All Today I Learned Clips here: http://bit.ly/2WatchTodayILearned
➡ Get More TIL (Today I Learned): http://bit.ly/MoreTIL
About TIL (Today I Learned):
Love crazy facts? We do too. Get ready to amaze your friends with some of the strangest facts you’ve ever heard. National Geographic explorers tell you new, obscure, and amazing things about the world (and beyond).
Get More National Geographic:
Official Site: http://bit.ly/NatGeoOfficialSite
About National Geographic:
National Geographic is the world's premium destination for science, exploration, and adventure. Through their world-class scientists, photographers, journalists, and filmmakers, Nat Geo gets you closer to the stories that matter and past the edge of what's possible.
In one study, a graduate student working with Packer used stuffed toy lions with various mane colors to test female preference. That study found that 90 percent of the time lionesses chose to approach the replicas with darker manes. Nature is so typical—boring, good-looking dudes ruining it for the rest of us. Maybe the remaining 10 percent of lionesses are more interested in a potential mate’s personality qualities? In this week’s "Today I Learned," Packer explains a bit more about this phenomenon.
TIL: Female Lions Are Attracted to Black Manes | Today I Learned
Tagged under: TIL (Today I Learned),TIL,Today I learned,national geographic,nat geo,natgeo,animals,wildlife,science,explore,discover,survival,nature,culture,documentary,facts,obscure,amazing,interesting facts,Lion,Lioness,Lion King,color,sex,black,Craig Packer,health,sci ,mammals,attraction,Today I Learned,attractive,Mane,DIG2016,video,National Geographic,sciex,youtube
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes