This chemistry-style "Yule Log" is designed to enjoy (maybe in the background) over the festive period --- The good people from Chromecast supported the making of this video --- Why not warm up your holidays by casting this YouTube Fireplace from your smartphone, tablet or laptop to your TV using Chromecast. Learn more at http://www.google.com/chromecast
1. Music by Alan Stewart - Alan played the music in one take while watching the video for the first time! Alan: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlanKey86
2. The ethanol demonstration was intended to show the liquid would burn without damaging the object we doused. We chose a currency note because everyone is familiar with it - knows what is made from, feels like, etc. And they would know it is not a trick substance. There was no intent no cause any damage - just educate and entertain.
You can bid on the $50 in our charity auction... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380797103246
3. The Potassium Nitrate - which also didn't go the plan - was designed to reveal a message on the paper - you should still be able to see it! (periodic videos loves to share all our demonstrations with you - even when they don't quite work or fail completely - you can learn much from so-called "failures")
4. The video was filmed in Neil's fume hood - where else?
Tagged under: Christmas (Holiday Period),Magnesium (Chemical Element),fire,log,zirconium,Zirconium (Chemical Element),bunsen burner,Chemical Substance,Yule (Holiday),Fireplace (Accommodation Feature),Burn,Burning
Find more lesson plans like this:0.2 miles in Feet: How-to & Steps
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes