Talking about Fitness in English - Free Basic English Lesson
Just as our body needs exercise to stay healthy so does our English. This lesson helps you to talk about fitness in English.
1. To get fit/ Get in shape: This phrase can be used if you want to lose weight and become healthier.
Eg) I have gained too much of weight and I want to get fit or I want to get in shape.
2. Workout: Workout means an exercise routine. If you have been at the gym for a long time you can say I have had a really good workout today.
3. Warm up & Cool down: These are essential elements of any workout routine.
A warm up is a period of light exercise to get the body ready for a god workout whereas the the cool down period involves reducing the intensity of your exercise by gradually slowing down. It is usually followed by stretching which prevents the muscles from getting stiff or any injury.
4. Gym: Gym is slang for the word gymnasium and gymnastic services. It includes weight training to develop and strengthen the muscles and cardiovascular training which is also called cardio. It is vigorous exercise to strengthen the heart and burn calories.
5. Gym Equipments:
There are various equipments at the gym such as Treadmill which is used for running on the spot, Stationary Bike which is basically a cycling machine, dumb bells etc.
6. Gym Trainer / Fitness Trainer: The person who teaches and guides you at the gym. People also hire personal trainer for personal coaching who only focuses on one individual at a time.
7. Dieting: It is eating less or more healthy food. To be calorie conscious to become fit and slim.
8. Brisk Walking: To walk a little fast to increase the heart rate
9. Jogging: It is an activity of running at a steady and gentle pace
10. Types of exercise classes are:
Yoga: It is a union between body and spirit. It helps curing chronic health problems to attain a peace of mind. It includes stretching movements, breathing exercises and meditation.
Kick boxing: A form of martial art which combines boxing with kicking with bare feet. It has elements of karate.
Aerobics: It's a form of physical exercise that combines rhythmic stretching and strengthening training and is performed to music.
Pilates : A system of exercise that promotes strengthening and toning of the body using a specialized equipment.
So enjoy this lesson about fitness, avoid drinking, smoking and eating junk food and stay healthy always.
Tagged under: Learning English,English lesson,English lessons,spoken English,English speaking,Grammar lesson,American Accent,British accent,business English,learn English,speak english,fluent English,lessons,free English
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes