This video tutorial provides a review of the functional groups and their respective structures that you need to know for your organic chemistry 1 & 2 course. It includes plenty of naming / nomenclature examples and practice problems. You simply have to commit some of these basic functional groups to memorization. Once you know it, this topic will become easy.
Here is a list of functional groups that are covered in this video:
1. alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes
2. alcohols, carboxylic acids, alkyl halides, and haloalkanes
3. esters, ethers, amines, amides, nitriles, and ammonium salts
4. ketones, aldehydes, & epoxides / oxirane
5. conjugated alkenes / alkadienes and allenes / cumulated dienes
6. Substituents: methyl, ethyl, propyl, butyl, isopropyl, sec-butyl, tert-butyl, isobutyl, isopentyl, phenyl, benzyl, methoxy, ethoxy, hydroxy, amino, nitro, and oxo.
7. Vinyl Halide, allyl halide, aryl halide, phenyl halide, benzyl halide, vicinal dihalide, and geminal dihalide.
8. Aromatic Rings - Benzene, Pyridine, & Phenol
9. Cycloalkanes, cycloalkenes, and bicycloalkanes
10. Thiol, thioether, thioester, peroxyacid, peroxide, sulfonic acid
11. acid chlorides and acid anhydrides
12. Alkoxides - methoxide, ethoxide, tert-butoxide, & phenoxide
13. Imine, Schiff base, Enamine, Vinyl Amine, Enol, Vinyl Alcohol, & The Enolate Ion
14. Amine, Phosphine, Hydroxyl Amine, Ammonium Salt, Phosphonium Salt, Diazonium Salt, & Azide
15. Radicals, Carbocations, Carbanions, & Carbenes
16. Crown ethers, Acetylide Ion, Halohydrins
17. Lactams vs Lactones
18. Hemiacetal, Acetal, Ketal, Hemiketal, & Hydrates,
19. Grignard reagent, organolithium, Gilman Reagent, Organo copper Lithium or dialkyl cuprate
20. Beta hydroxy aldehyde, b-diketones, alpha beta unsaturated ketones, beta ketone ester, malonic ester, and acetoacetic ester
Tagged under: organic chemistry functional groups review,organic chemistry functional groups naming,organic chemistry functional groups nomenclature,organic chemistry functional groups,organic chemistry,functional groups,ketones,aldehydes,esters,ethers,amines,amides,carboxylic acid,alcohol,aromatic ring,alkyl halide,alkane,alkenes,alkynes
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes