This organic chemistry video tutorial provides an overview of nucleophilic addition reactions of aldehydes and ketones. It provides a nice review of what you need for your next organic chemistry test or exam.
Here's a list of topics contained in this video:
1. Nomenclature - Naming Compounds Containing Aldehyde and Ketone Functional Groups. Common names such as Benzaldehyde, Acetone, Acetophenone, Cyclohexane Carbaldehyde, and Benzophenone are included.
2. Physical Properties of Aldehydes & Ketones Including Boiling Point, Vapor Pressure, and Water Solubility
3. Hydration Reaction of Aldehydes & Ketones - Forming Hydrates -Mechanism included.
4. Relative Reactivity of Aldehydes & Ketones - Most Reactive to Least Reactive or Least Stable to Most Stable
5. Steric Factors Such as Steric Hindrance vs Electronic Factors Such Electron Donating Groups and Electron Withdrawing Groups.
6. Enol-Ketone Tautomerism - Reaction Mechanism of a Ketone into an Enol - Acidic and Basic Conditions.
7. The Stability of Conjugated and Aromatic Enols.
8. Acetal, Ketal, Hemiacetal, and Hemiketal Formation.
9. Acetal Protecting Groups Using Ethylene Glycol - Reaction Mechanism
10. Grignard Reagent Reaction Mechanism With Aldehydes & Ketones
11. Aldehydes & Ketones Nucleophilic Addition - NaBH4 & LiAlH4 Reduction Reactions
12. Cyanohydrin Formation - Reaction Mechanism - Acidic & Basic Conditions
13. Primary Alcohol to Aldehyde Using PCC Reaction Overview
14. Secondary Alcohol to Ketone Using Na2Cr2O7 & H2SO4
15. Terminal Alkyne to Aldehyde Using Sia2BH THF H2O2 NaOH
16. Terminal Alkyne to Ketone Using HgSO4, H2SO4, and H2O
17. Conversion of Nitrile to Imine to Ketone Reaction Mechanism
18. Organolithium Reagents With Carbonyl Compounds
19. Imine vs Enamine - Primary vs Secondary Amines on Ketones
20. Ozonolysis - Converting Alkenes Into Aldehydes & Ketones
21. Fridel Crafts Acylation - Adding a Ketone Near a Benzene Ring
22. The Wittig Reaction and It's mechanism - Ylide, TriphenylPhosphine, Oxaphosphetane, Betain, Butyl Lithium, etc.
23. Tollen's Test - Ag(NH3)2+ or Ag2O with THF and H2O
24. Clemmensen Reduction - Zn, Hg, and HCl - Converting a Ketone into an Alkane
25. Wolff - Kishner Reduction Using KOH and H2N-NH2 or N2H4 / Hydrazine
26. Direct Alkylation or alpha hydrogen substitution reactions of aldehydes and ketones with an alkyl halide like CH3Br or CH3CH2Br
27. Direct Alkylation Using an Enamine
Tagged under: aldehydes ketones organic chemistry,aldehydes ketones properties,aldehydes ketones naming,aldehydes ketones nomenclature,hydration aldehydes ketones,aldehydes ketones nucleophilic addition,synthesis aldehydes ketones,reactivity aldehydes ketones,aldehydes ketones exam review,tautomerism,aldehydes ketones,imine,enamine,direct alkylation,wittig reaction,enol,nucleophilic addition reactions
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes