► My Applications of Derivatives course: https://www.kristakingmath.com/applications-of-derivatives-course
The position function of an object is the function that models where the particle is located at time t, which means the function will be given in terms of the variable t. Since velocity is the derivative of position, and acceleration is the derivative of velocity, we can differentiate the position function in order to find the velocity and acceleration functions.
Once we have all three of the these functions, we can figure out all kinds of things about the behavior of the particle. In this video we'll:
- Find velocity at time t.
- Find velocity after 2 seconds and after 4 seconds.
- Say when the particle is at rest by setting the velocity function equal to 0 and solving for t.
- Find out when the particle is moving forward by identifying where the velocity function is positive.
- Find the distance traveled by the particle during the first 5 seconds.
- Find the acceleration at time t by calculating the second derivative of the position function.
- Figure out the acceleration after 4 seconds.
- Calculate when the particle is speeding up and when it's slowing down by finding out where the velocity function is positive and negative, where the acceleration function is positive and negative, and then comparing the points in time at which both velocity and acceleration are positive, and where both velocity and acceleration are negative. When they are both positive or both negative (have the same sign), the particle will be speeding up. Whenever they have opposite signs, it means that the particle is slowing down.
● ● ● GET EXTRA HELP ● ● ●
If you could use some extra help with your math class, then check out Krista’s website // http://www.kristakingmath.com
● ● ● CONNECT WITH KRISTA ● ● ●
Hi, I’m Krista! I make math courses to keep you from banging your head against the wall. ;)
Math class was always so frustrating for me. I’d go to a class, spend hours on homework, and three days later have an “Ah-ha!” moment about how the problems worked that could have slashed my homework time in half. I’d think, “WHY didn’t my teacher just tell me this in the first place?!”
So I started tutoring to keep other people out of the same aggravating, time-sucking cycle. Since then, I’ve recorded tons of videos and written out cheat-sheet style notes and formula sheets to help every math student—from basic middle school classes to advanced college calculus—figure out what’s going on, understand the important concepts, and pass their classes, once and for all. Interested in getting help? Learn more here: http://www.kristakingmath.com
FACEBOOK // https://www.facebook.com/KristaKingMath
TWITTER // https://twitter.com/KristaKingMath
INSTAGRAM // https://www.instagram.com/kristakingmath/
PINTEREST // https://www.pinterest.com/KristaKingMath/
GOOGLE+ // https://plus.google.com/+Integralcalc/
QUORA // https://www.quora.com/profile/Krista-King
Tagged under: educational,velocity,acceleration,derivatives, ,calculus,slowing ,speeding ,velocity function,position function,particle moving ,particle moving,acceleration function,distance traveled,particle rest,Krista King,particle,velocity time
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes