A big thank-you to our supporters on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/MinuteEarth :
- Today I Found Out
- Maarten Bremer
- Jeff Straathof
- Mark Roth
- Tony Fadell
- Muhammad Shifaz
- Maletendo Bezenga
- Zarko Obrenovic
- Duhilio Patiño
- Alberto Bortoni
- Nicholas Buckendorf
- Antoine Coeur
Credits (and Twitter handles):
Script Writer: Alex Reich (@alexhreich)
Script Editor: Henry Reich (@MinutePhysics)
Video Illustrator: Omkar Bhagat (@TheCuriousEnggr)
Video Director: Emily Elert (@eelert)
Video Narrator: Emily Elert (@eelert)
With Contributions From: Kate Yoshida, Ever Salazar, Peter Reich, Rachel Becker, David Goldenberg
Music by: Nathaniel Schroeder: http://www.soundcloud.com/drschroeder
Like our videos?
Subscribe to MinuteEarth on YouTube: http://goo.gl/EpIDGd
Get early, exclusive access to our videos on Vessel: https://goo.gl/hgD1iJ
Support us on Patreon: https://goo.gl/ZVgLQZ
Also, say hello on:
And find us on itunes: https://goo.gl/sfwS6n
If you liked this week’s video, we think you might also like these things:
Rohrlich, J. (2015). Should Society Start Contacting the Amazon's Uncontacted Tribes?. VICE News. https://goo.gl/b3hfmR
Kluger, J. (2015). Is It Ethical to Leave Uncontacted Tribes Alone? Time Magazine. http://time.com/3909470/tribes-uncont...
Survival International Q+A about “Uncontacted Tribes”: http://goo.gl/x9D9PB
Glob, A. 2008. Are there ‘uncontacted tribes’? The short answer: No. Savage Minds Blog. http://goo.gl/ihWUyw
FYI: We try to leave jargon out of our videos, but if you want to learn more about this topic, here are some handy keywords to get your googling started:
- isolated peoples: peoples living without significant contact with global civilization, either by choice or circumstance
- uncontacted peoples: another term for isolated peoples, even though most isolated peoples have actually been in some form of contact with global civilization
- forest peoples: indigenous peoples who live in and depend on forests for their livelihoods
- first contact: the first meeting of two cultures previously unaware of one another
- controlled contact: a planned, organized first contact involving health care professionals and cultural translators
- no-contact approach: a policy to leave isolated peoples alone
- Prime Directive: a Star Trek guiding principle prohibiting Starfleet personnel from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations
- self-determination: the right of a people to freely choose their political, economic, social, and cultural systems without interference
- autonomy: the right or condition of self-government and expression of aspirations free from external control or influence
Feather, C. (2015). Isolated tribes: Contact misguided. Science (New York, NY), 349(6250), 798-798. http://goo.gl/BPL2RX
Lawler, A. (2015). Making contact. Science, 348(6239), 1072-1079. http://science.sciencemag.org/content...
Pringle, H. (2015). In peril. Science, 348(6239), 1080-1085. http://science.sciencemag.org/content...
Walker, R. S., & Hill, K. R. (2015). Protecting isolated tribes. Science,348(6239), 1061-1061. http://science.sciencemag.org/content...
Walker, R. S., & Hill, K. R. (2016). Personal communication.
News Article about the Science magazine feature: http://goo.gl/rpIFyZ
Articles about recent Brazil & Peru First Contacts:
Fraser, B. (2014). Controversial Peru gas project expansion gets go-ahead. Thomson Reuters Foundation. http://goo.gl/J4d6zt
Fraser, B. (2015). Isolated tribespeople receiving care after violent contact in Brazil. Science Magazine News. http://goo.gl/K6A01W
Hill, D. (2014). Gas firm to move deeper into reserve for indigenous people in Peru. The Guardian. http://goo.gl/6JJDZ4
Nuwer, R. (2014). Anthropology: The sad truth about uncontacted tribes. BBC Future. http://goo.gl/nEkGLC
Pringle, H. (2014). Uncontacted tribe in Brazil emerges from isolation. Science, 345(6193), 125-126. http://science.sciencemag.org/content...
Pringle. H. (2014). Video of tribe's first contact shows both tension and friendly overtures. Science Magazine News. http://goo.gl/lH8WhA
Tharoor, I. (2015). Do the world’s ‘uncontacted’ tribes deserve to be left alone? Washington Post. https://goo.gl/6Qeiyb
Tagged under: MinuteEarth,Minute Earth,MinutePhysics,Minute Physics,earth,history,science,environment,environmental science,earth science
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes