In classrooms in traditionally underserved communities, building strong relationships with students is fundamental to establishing a classroom culture where students are motivated to stay on task and achieve to a high level.
• For many students in economically disadvantaged communities, having strong relationships with their teachers is a precondition for them to care about school (Valenzuela 1999; Brown 2007).
• A large percentage of students report a sense of alienation from school, believing no one cares for them there (Jenson 2009).
• More than ever, the old axiom "students don't care what you know, until they know you care" sums up the reality of reaching many of today's students.
This course is based upon noted educator Lee Canter's study of the following critical question:
What distinguishes teachers who can build the strong relationships needed to motivate their students to choose to get and stay on task and achieve academic success, from less effective teachers who struggle to help students achieve to the best of their abilities?
Through his research he determined that the most descriptive term for highly effective teachers is "No-Nonsense Nurturers."
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes