Short Circuit - Genetics
Greyhounds are bred for just one thing - speed. But not every one is a winner. So what makes a top dog? How much is down to training and how much is in their genes? How are characteristics like speed, size and colour passed down from one generation to the next? This programme takes an interesting look at how genetics play a big part in the breeding of top greyhounds.
1. With which animal do we share ⅔ of our “genetic recipe” ?
2. Where do we find this recipe or code?
3. Which characteristic in greyhounds does John look for? List a few.
4. Where did all dogs known today descend from?
5. Which features are purely genetic?
6. What do we call this process of selecting certain traits?
7. What controls the characteristics that are inherited?
8. What do we call strong genes? What do we call weak genes?
9. Do the recessive genes disappear when we don’t see their effect in offspring?
10. What is a mutant? What causes these mutant genes?
11. How can this be avoided?
12. What are chromosomes made of?
13. What is a genetic marker?
14. What is added to breeding to get a winning greyhound?
15. What is the downside of selective breeding in dogs?
Tagged under: BBC,Short,Circuit,Genetics
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes