The Radium Girls were the first people who worked, for years, with one of the world’s most radioactive substances -- and suffered the consequences.
Hosted by: Hank Green
Today's President of Space:
Dooblydoo thanks go to the following Patreon supporters -- we couldn't make SciShow without them! Shout out to Justin Lentz, John Szymakowski, Ruben Galvao, and Peso255.
Like SciShow? Want to help support us, and also get things to put on your walls, cover your torso and hold your liquids? Check out our awesome products over at DFTBA Records: http://dftba.com/scishow
Or help support us by becoming our patron on Patreon:
Looking for SciShow elsewhere on the internet?
Tagged under: radium girls,radium,uranium,radioactivity,labor,history,. . radium,undark,luminescent,paint,glow dark,clock,watch,dials,workers,william hammer,marie curie,pierre curie,sci show,hank green,science
1. What do you think it means if something is "radioactive"? Write in a complete sentence. (00:00:39)
2. Who discovered radium? (00:00:57)
3. What is the atomic number of Radium (Ra)? Look on the periodic table. (00:01:14)
4. Is radiation still used in medicine today? If so, provide an example. (00:01:33)
5. What does it mean if something "decays"? (00:02:10)
6. What is a better name for glow in the dark paint than "Undark"? (00:02:40)
7. Why do you think the scientists were provided more protection than the workers? (00:03:03)
8. Which of the following was NOT an effect of the radium on the workers? (00:03:35)
Clip makes it super easy to turn any public video into a formative assessment activity in your classroom.
Add multiple choice quizzes, questions and browse hundreds of approved, video lesson ideas for Clip
Make YouTube one of your teaching aids - Works perfectly with lesson micro-teaching plans
1. Students enter a simple code
2. You play the video
3. The students comment
4. You review and reflect
* Whiteboard required for teacher-paced activities
With four apps, each designed around existing classroom activities, Spiral gives you the power to do formative assessment with anything you teach.
Carry out a quickfire formative assessment to see what the whole class is thinking
Create interactive presentations to spark creativity in class
Student teams can create and share collaborative presentations from linked devices
Turn any public video into a live chat with questions and quizzes